"For real though, imagine how it feels
going real slow down the highway of life
with no regrets..."
-In the Heights
Ahh, Greece. This was one of my top two "places to visit", but I never imagined it would work out with the price of plane tickets and the added time it would take to go there. So when we finally decided to add it into our itinerary, I was beyond excited. Greek food, ancient ruins, and a beautiful island. I wasn't disappointed in those respects.We left for Athens bright and early on Friday morning. And by bright, I mean it was still dark outside. The flight wasn't too long, but with the added time change, we only had time
for a quick dinner of gyros that night. The next morning, we headed off to the Acropolis! It's an entire city of ruins, so practically everywhere
you look there are ancient pillars and such lying around. The climb up to the top wasn't as bad as it looked, and on the way you pass the Theatre of Dionysus and the Odeon of Herodes Atticus. (I'm stealing these names from wikipedia, don't be impressed that I know them all.) Once we made it to the top, we climbed the steps through the
Propylaea, a gateway into the Acropolis. From there it was on to the
Parthenon! Also at the top are the Temple of Athena and the Erectheion. Every single one is fantastic looking, though it would be nice if there weren't signs of ongoing restoration all over the Parthenon. Still, they are definitely the coolest ruins I've seen, and the view from the top was gorgeous.
After the Acropolis, we headed down into the city to explore. This area was much more traditional Greece than the area
by our hostel, which was overrun with shops. We found the Roman Agora and walked through the ruins, and I played peekaboo with the pillars. There were several dogs lying around (throughout the entire city),
and Sara managed to rip her jeans while petting one. Oops! Then we wandered through an enormous marketplace for awhile, and Sara got herself a dress to replace the ripped jeans. We ate lunch outside and I got my souvlaki (yum!), and a nice sunburn on the side.
The next day Sara left for Mykonos, so Kaitlin and I were on our own for another day of wandering. We walked down to a park on the edge of the city,
and I saw a young boy pull down his pants in the middle of the park to pee. His mother just handed him his sandwich afterwards so he could continue eating. Oh,
Greece. Then we went to the Olympic stadium and walked by the Olympic pool on our way to the Temple of Zeus. This one was especially cool, because you could get pretty close to the temple, and the pillars were huge! And I did an impression of Zeus throwing lightning bolts down at people. Yay Greek mythology! There wasn't too much else to do, so we ended up browsing the marketplace for the third of fourth time. Athens has awesome ruins, but other than that, it's just shops upon shops. So instead of finding something else to do, we found some more Greek food and baklava for desert! Delicious.
The next morning it was an early ferry ride to Mykonos! Our first view of the island was a mess of white houses that looked beautiful. We were met at the port by the woman who ran our hotel (a bit of a nut, but sweet), and she drove us to the other side of town. We got to walk amid the adorable white houses, and it turned out that we got our own terrace on top of a white house! Kaitlin and I spent a lot of time walking through the town down to the water. As it turns out, the white houses may be fantastic to look out, but they form a pretty tricky maze that can prove to be impossible to navigate. The town really does not disappoint though, it is just gorgeous to stand on the beach and look back at it. Luckily we were only a couple of streets in from the windmills on one side of town, so when in doubt, you could always just walk too far and find your way back.
That night, it was Kingston University takes over Mykonos. It turned out that a huge group of us were on the island that night, so some of us met up for di
nner. Matt, Laura, Katie, Sara, Kaitlin and I ate down on the port, as not much in town was open. Despite the island being very touristy, it was before tourist season actually hit, so most places were still in the process of getting ready for the summer, and weren't open yet. After a delicious dinner, we met two American girls, Codi and Cailin, who are studying in England as well. Then we were joined by Erica, Lizz, and Shauna, and the entire group of us got a few drinks at another restaurant on the port, and I had more baklava! Again, delicious.
And now we arrive at the day where more things went wrong than any other day of the trip. Ironically, it's probably also my favorite day of break. None of the buses were running to the various beaches around the island, so Kaitlin and I rented an ATV to drive around and see some of them on our own. It was my first time ever on a four wheeler, so we both thought it would be smarter if Kaitlin drove.
The guy told us that there was a liter of gas, and gave us directions to the gas station. So we head off, and manage to just miss the turn for the gas station. We turn up another road instead that leads to someone's backyard, where we begin to turn around to go back. What happens? Our engine dies. We're out of gas. Having no other choice, we have to walk to the gas station and find a way to bring some
gas back to our poor little ATV. We walk, and walk, and walk. It turns out that the gas station is well over a mile, all up a steep hill. It's probably a good thing we didn't make the turn, because there is zero chance that we could have made it to the gas station on our "one liter", and we would have started rolling backwards on a busy hill. We finally make it there, the guy laughs at us and gives us a
liter and a half, and we trek all of the way back to the four wheeler, fill 'er up, and return to the gas station. Now that we're both gross and sweaty, it's time to finally start our adventure! We started out going north and saw plenty of countryside before turning around and going south towards some of the beaches. We weren't so great at the hills at first, so I had to get off and push a few times, but we got better as the day went on. We went to three or four beaches on the south coast of the island before stopping at my favorite one, Elias Beach. It was beautiful with sparkling blue water and pale sand. The perfect place to...break down? Yup, our lovely
ATV refused to start. Kaitlin tried over and over, but the engine refused to be kind to us. A Greek man drove in on a motorcycle, and tried to kickstart it, but it was a no go. It was then that we finally named our four wheeler: POS (Piece of Shit). So we called the company and they said someone would come down to help us. After waiting for a long time, a guy drives in on a truck and comes over to us.
We explain the problem, and he gets on the four wheeler. First try, it starts. Kaitlin and I stand there feeling like complete idiots as he rides around in a circle. So we apologize for him driving all of the way across the island for nothing, and he gets back in his truck and waits for us to get going again. Of course, we still can't get it to start. This time when he gets out to help us again, he can't get it to work either, and decides there must be an electrical problem. I felt much better that he hadn't driven
over for no
reason, and he loaded up the ATV and we piled into his truck. Back at the rental place, he got us out a new four wheeler (luckily with plenty of gas in it), and we started out for the second part of our day. This ATV absolutely loved us. It was like a power four wheeler compared to POS, and had no problem flying up the hills that our other one would have died on. We lovingly named him BL (Blue Lightning), and had a wonderful time zipping around to another beach or two and going to grab some lunch. I can't even begin to describe how much fun I had this day. Everywhere you looked it was beautiful landscape; yellow flowers, green grass, white houses, deep blue water in the distance. It was the Greek beauty I'd been hoping for!
In case you couldn't tell, I had a fantastic time in Greece. I would love to return someday and see some of the other Greek islands. Mykonos was beautiful, but it did have a tourist feel to it. I can't blame anyone for wanting to spend some time there though! Anyway, if you made it all of the way through this post, then I'm impressed. Next stop? Italy!
greece lightning!
Sunday, April 26, 2009
Posted by Carolyn at 5:26 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

0 comments:
Post a Comment