sickness.

Wednesday, February 18, 2009

"Love looks not with the eyes, but with the mind,
And therefore is wing'd Cupid painted blind."
-William Shakespeare

There's a bit of Shakespeare for you, on this lovely Wednesday evening. I don't really have too much to update on, but I'm not in the mood for homework, so this is my chosen form of procrastination. In other words, this may end up as a relatively pointless post, and if you stop reading here, I won't hold it against you.

Valentine's Day ended on a high note. The movie "He's Just Not That Into You" was a typical chick flick, which doesn't tend to be my favorite genre, but it was enjoyable. Afterwards, I headed over to a pub with Kaitlin and Sara, and we reveled in ice-cream and a few drinks. The night consisted of "cheers" toasts, green Go! stickers, guys who couldn't figure out the zoom on our cameras, more cheers, and ended with Kaitlin inside a telephone box. All in all, a fun evening.

Yesterday, I spent my day off doing nothing school related. Sara and I hit up the Pizza Hut buffet for lunch, which was delicious. Anything that has unlimited pizza and breadsticks is fantastic, in my opinion. We spent most of our time discussing places we wanted to visit on weekends, and ended up with quite a list. I'm not sure how long it'll take for me to run out of money, but hopefully I'll have gotten to see some beautiful countries first! I met my friend Lizz at a pub for dinner, and after a typical English fish 'n chips, we went to the Rose Theatre for a production of A Midsummer Night's Dream. I've never thought myself to be much of a Shakespeare fan, but I was in this play when I was younger and I thought it'd be fun to see it performed. In actuality, I enjoyed it far more than I expected I would. It was an all male cast, which increased the comedy level of the storyline, and they threw in a modern twist. In thinking back on the Shakespeare I've read, I suppose I really do like the plots; I just wish the language was easier to comprehend. Seeing it performed live, however, is entirely more fun, and I have a newfound appreciation for the Elizabethan playwright.

Today, the sickness that's been going around finally caught up with me. I turned off my alarm and went back to bed this morning, skipping my stats lecture. I did have to get up for my first chem lab though, which was an adventure. I've never seen anything so chaotic in my life. First of all, every organic chemistry II student has their practical at the same time. Apparently they expected more people to drop this course, because there wasn't enough room for everyone in the lab. The first years had their practical at the same time, so we couldn't overspill into the other large lab. So instead of working in pairs, we worked in groups of three (and even four?). I didn't mind, because it meant I didn't have to do much, but I was really surprised at the disorganization of it all. Hopefully they'll have sorted out the schedule by next week. There were things I liked about it, though. It's nice to be allowed to work in pairs again, although Ben and I pretty much did that anyway. The two lecturers for the course were also in the lab the entire time, which was handy for getting help on some of the questions. And the lab itself wasn't very difficult, though the questions are beyond me. But to say the least, chemistry here should be interesting.

Anyway, I'm hoping to feel better by tomorrow, when eight of us leave for Dublin! I just booked a bus trip to the Cliffs of Moher and Limerick on Sunday, so I'm excited that I'll get to see more of Ireland as well. It should be a fun weekend in the land of Celts and shamrocks!

0 comments: