"So we follow our wandering paths,
and the very darkness acts as our guide
and our doubts serve to reassure us."
-Jean-Pierre de Caussade
I used to know where I belonged, even if I was still trying to find myself. Now, I think I know who I am, but I've lost all sense of where I belong. Is college supposed to do that to a person? I feel like I'm wavering on the outskirts of various groups, unsure of whether I'm supposed to be in or out. Distance certainly tests friendships, and I guess now it's up to me to decide which ones are still worth the effort. Maybe that's why I'm so anxious for a break from the states, so I can push off such decisions. I'm not sure that going to England is going to help me figure anything out, but as long as I'm wandering, I might as well do it in London, right?
Just over two weeks remaining until I leave. What have I done to prepare? Not much. I haven't even finished unpacking from Albany. It looks like I'm going to be rushing around last minute to get ready...story of my life. I finished the paperwork, and am just waiting for final immigration papers from the university. I also got a luggage set for Christmas, so that's taken care of. Other than that, I've hardly thought about what I'll need to do in the next couple of weeks to prepare. I still feel like there's plenty of time left, but in reality, I only have eight days at home until the 15th.
What am I doing with the rest of my time? Traveling, of course! My family is heading up to Boston on the 1st to see the Penguins play the Bruins. I'm not big into hockey, but I haven't been to Boston since 5th grade. I remember it being one of my favorite places, probably because of its likeness to a European city, so we'll see if that still holds true. Then my mother and I are flying down to Tampa from the 6th to the 10th to visit my grandma. The best news about this trip is that I'll get my chance to see William Joseph in concert! For those of you who weren't lucky enough to hear me complain about this over and over, I'll explain. William Joseph is a brilliant piano player, and the sole reason that I still play the piano, because his music got me back into playing after I had given it up for awhile. This is his first headlining tour in the United States, and he's going to Albany two weeks after I leave. Needless to say, I was not happy when I saw his name on The Egg's concert lineup. But, I discovered that he is opening for Linda Eder just outside of Tampa on the 9th, and my mom loves Linda Eder! Too much of a coincidence to ignore? I think so.
And throughout it all, the snow continues to fall. I think this may be the most snow I can remember getting in December, but I have an awful memory, so that isn't saying much. Florida will be a nice change from this constant world of white. I tell you, shoveling when it's windy out isn't much fun...I somehow managed to nail myself with a load of snow at least three times earlier today. Still, there is nothing more satisfying than coming inside from the snow and fixing up some dark hot chocolate with marshmallows.
Anyway, it seems that another year has come and gone. I'm anxious to get this new year underway, for I'm sure it'll be a year of change for me. Here's to looking forward to 2009, and everything is has to offer. Wishing you all a happy new year!
goodbye, two thousand eight.
Monday, December 29, 2008
Posted by Carolyn at 2:37 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Happy New Year to you Carolyn! I'm here for you if you ever need anything! ^.^
Happy New Year-- I wish you the best of luck in all of your endeavors. I am also sorry about your grandfather; I'll keep him in my prayers. Take care, gorgeous!
thank you both!
Post a Comment